Skip to main content

MRS: A pen stops moving

It's been a day of melancholy. My mind is numb and I can't seem to be able to think of anything else. Our own journalist, my senior and my first guru in journalism passed away yesterday. M.R. Shivanna, or MRS as we all called him, was the most dedicated journalist I have seen in my short journalism life. But what I had seen was enough. He worked 24x7, literally. Many days together, he never went home. We came at 8 and went home by 5. He would be writing in the desk with head lowered and pen held as if it were his sword even before we came, and he would still be at it when we went home. In between, when we went for lunch, he would be writing, and would be writing when we came back from lunch. His pen never stopped moving.
I learnt how to write news from MRS and Meera, our Chief Sub-Editor. He was a walking, pen-wielding encyclopedia though he had just studied PUC. Ask any question, MRS would answer. He never said 'I don't know.' To me, a new entrant to journalism, he was a wonder, especially in the matters of politics there was nothing he didn't know. So even when he at first dismissed me as a young girl who didn't know anything, I would bow and take it in stride. Later, he too acknowledged that I knew something and would direct others to ask me if they had any doubt.
For two years, MRS would be in desk spewing out news as if they were fire from a dragon's mouth and I would look after the pages on Sundays. And in those days, it was a comfort to know that he would be there and I could go if I had any doubt. He would stride in in his socks, a diminutive little figure I almost collided with many times making him nearly fall down. And I would never forget his thoughtful smiles. When we went to pay our last respects, his wife told my senior that he asked her to take him home because he wanted to write news. Whatever he was, he was an excellent journalist. A real, old school journalist who never cared for laurels and wealth. He cared only about one thing: writing.

Comments

  1. Its so sad to know that he is no more. I have been reading his articles since many years. Until I read this blog post, I didn't even know his full name. And it is surprising that his education background was limited to puc!

    ReplyDelete
  2. One more tribute here http://wearethebest.wordpress.com/2011/05/22/m-r-shivanna-a-true-247-journalist-is-dead

    ReplyDelete
  3. sad to know this.. let his soul rest in peace...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Two separate questions

Guess I am out of touch with everything right now, so no blog entry for many days. From many days, a question is bothering me. I haven't found a satisfactory answer yet. So I'll write it down here. Maybe anybody who reads this may know the answer. "Just because we are journalists, writers, opinion creators and thinkers, do we have the right to judge others? Either personally or professionally?" I think we don't have the right to judge a person, even if we are right. But as writers, we would have to judge others whether we like it or not. And it's very difficult forcing people to think, but that's what we are doing or pretending to be doing right? Another question: "How come life is so simple if you just let it live by itself without bothering much and so complicated if you try to manipulate it or even understand it?" Blessed are the ignorant. We who can understand everything, try not to let anything go by without understanding and thus miss the b

Why?

I miss the complexity of the book and am tired of the predictability of people. Reading each page of a book takes you to a different realm, and often surprises you with its observations. I agree books are written by people, but why do people remain predictable in life and unpredictable in fiction? 

Caterpillar or butterfly?

'Caught in a strange land in a net with other butterflies, I'm a caterpillar yet undecided to remain a caterpillar and perish or turn into a beautiful butterfly and live a life full of joy.' Readers don't laugh. But I came up with this one night recently when I was travelling in a train. I tossed and turned, not being able to sleep, upset over unexplainable things and frustrated over events not in my control. Then it occurred to me that our life and its usefulness depends on our decisions -- whether to remain a crawling caterpillar whose existence otherwise is either ignored by all and sundry or who is cursed for just being there and thrown out with a stick, or to develop wings of life and metamorphose into a beautiful butterfly whom everybody adores for its beauty and colour, for its flitting liveliness, for its service to the flower's pollination... I thought that I should be a butterfly, of service to others, but then again I thought, anyway, who really cares?