Skip to main content

The Fountainhead

I read a lot. In fact, my family and some of my teachers used to tell me it was too much. The few times I refrained from reading were while sleeping (of course) and bathing. I read while eating, travelling, walking on the road and even while watching TV. It's a form of obsession, I guess. Even if I don't find time or opportunity to read, there would be a book in my hand. I once finished Jane Eyre in a marriage hall, sitting in front of the ongoing marriage ceremony, oblivious to the din around.
Now, the latest book I finished reading (and worthwhile mentioning) is Ayn Rand's The Fountainhead. Saying that it is a wonderful book is an understatement. It must be the first time in my reading career that I encountered a book I didn't despise because of rousing emotions in me, making me cry. I liked classics and read them but also secretly dreaded them because I hated my own emotional reaction afterwards. This book was, however, something I couldn't hate and couldn't stop loving. Ayn Rand's objectivism is a theory I accepted for the first time without much of a fight. Not because I didn't believe there could be truths beyond perception (I know it already), but because I put up a firewall to any idea suggested by others. Anyway, just read it if you happen to come across the book. I will write more about the book again.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Caterpillar or butterfly?

'Caught in a strange land in a net with other butterflies, I'm a caterpillar yet undecided to remain a caterpillar and perish or turn into a beautiful butterfly and live a life full of joy.' Readers don't laugh. But I came up with this one night recently when I was travelling in a train. I tossed and turned, not being able to sleep, upset over unexplainable things and frustrated over events not in my control. Then it occurred to me that our life and its usefulness depends on our decisions -- whether to remain a crawling caterpillar whose existence otherwise is either ignored by all and sundry or who is cursed for just being there and thrown out with a stick, or to develop wings of life and metamorphose into a beautiful butterfly whom everybody adores for its beauty and colour, for its flitting liveliness, for its service to the flower's pollination... I thought that I should be a butterfly, of service to others, but then again I thought, anyway, who really cares? 

Parents extraordinaire

My friend told me a story today while we were travelling in bus. It made me think of human emotions and the ways they are manifested in relationships. On Monday, my friend got into her bus as usual and sat on a vacant seat near an old man. He was bent with age, possibly carrying the life's burden. After a while, he started talking to her, asking about the time and her destination. When the city bus stand came near, he said he had to go to Sayyaji Rao Road to buy dosa, come back near Town Hall to buy churumuri and go somewhere else for some other eatable. She just nodded thinking why he was telling her all this. He then said it was all for his son. My friend asked him what work does his son do, to which he replied 'nothing.' He is well-educated, with good computer knowledge and intelligence enough to work. But he never steps out of his house and this aged dad works for a living, not only looking after his grown son but also cooking for him and lovingly serv...

Resilience

You wake up every morning deciding that this day you are going to be happy, care-free and not haunted by memories. It's like being a child. As the day goes by, it seems each and every event, small words or things bring back those memories which you would wish to forget. You just shake it off and move on to the next work at hand. I guess our resilience holds out through everything that seems to be ready to break us. This is the human spirit I have learnt to admire. But when it doesn't?